Aggravated Robbery Defense Lawyer in Illinois
Goldman & Associates is a premier criminal defense law firm specializing in representing clients facing aggravated robbery charges in Illinois. Our team of dedicated and experienced attorneys understands the complexities of aggravated robbery cases and is committed to providing aggressive legal representation. We have a deep understanding of Illinois’ criminal code and sentencing statutes, enabling us to develop the best possible defense strategies for our clients.
Understanding Aggravated Robbery Charges in Illinois
In Illinois, robbery and aggravated robbery are two distinct criminal charges. While both involve forcibly taking property from another person, aggravated robbery involves additional elements that make it a more serious offense. According to 720 ILCS 5/18-1(b), aggravated robbery is charged when:
- The perpetrator verbally or otherwise indicates that they possess a dangerous weapon, whether they actually have one or not.
- The perpetrator administers or threatens to administer a controlled substance to the victim without their consent.
The Arrest and Legal Process for Aggravated Robbery in Illinois
If you are arrested for aggravated robbery in Illinois, it is essential to contact an experienced aggravated robbery defense lawyer as soon as possible. The following steps outline the arrest and legal process:
- Arrest: Upon arrest, exercise your right to remain silent and request an attorney. Avoid providing any statements to the police without your defense lawyer present.
- Bond Hearing: A bond hearing will be held to determine your eligibility for bail and, if applicable, the bail amount. Your aggravated robbery defense lawyer will advocate for your release or a reasonable bond amount.
- Preliminary Hearing: A preliminary hearing is conducted to establish whether there is probable cause to proceed with the case. Your defense lawyer may present evidence or question witnesses to challenge the prosecution’s case.
- Pre-Trial Motions: Your attorney may file pre-trial motions to suppress evidence, dismiss charges, or request additional discovery.
- Trial: If your case goes to trial, the prosecution must prove your guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. Your defense lawyer will present your defense, cross-examine the prosecution’s witnesses, and challenge the prosecution’s case.
Proving Aggravated Robbery at Trial
In order to convict a defendant of aggravated robbery, the prosecution must prove beyond a reasonable doubt that:
- The defendant forcibly took property from the victim.
- The defendant either indicated they possessed a dangerous weapon or administered or threatened to administer a controlled substance without the victim’s consent.
The additional elements of aggravated robbery, compared to robbery, require the prosecution to prove the presence of a dangerous weapon or the administration of a controlled substance. These additional elements elevate the severity of the crime and warrant harsher penalties.
Potential Sentences for Aggravated Robbery in Illinois
Aggravated robbery is classified as a Class 1 felony in Illinois. If found guilty, the potential sentence for aggravated robbery is:
- A prison term ranging from 4 to 15 years.
- Fines up to $25,000.
- Mandatory supervised release for 2 years following imprisonment.
Compared to robbery, which is a Class 2 felony carrying a prison term of 3 to 7 years, the penalties for aggravated robbery are significantly more severe. It is crucial to have an experienced aggravated robbery defense lawyer on your side to ensure the best possible outcome in your case.
Why Choose Goldman & Associates for Your Aggravated Robbery Defense
Facing aggravated robbery charges in Illinois can be a daunting and life-altering experience. At Goldman & Associates, our team of skilled and dedicated aggravated robbery defense lawyers is committed to providing you with the highest quality legal representation. Here are some reasons why you should choose our firm for your defense:
- Extensive Experience: Our attorneys have years of experience representing clients facing aggravated robbery charges in Illinois. We are well-versed in the intricacies of Illinois’ criminal code and sentencing statutes, which enables us to build the most effective defense strategies for our clients.
- Personalized Attention: At Goldman & Associates, we understand that each client’s situation is unique. We work closely with our clients to develop personalized defense strategies tailored to their specific circumstances and needs.
- Aggressive Defense: We are committed to providing our clients with an aggressive defense, challenging the prosecution’s case at every opportunity. Our attorneys will work tirelessly to identify weaknesses and inconsistencies in the prosecution’s case, as well as any violations of your rights.
- Proven Results: Our track record of success in defending clients charged with aggravated robbery speaks for itself. We have consistently achieved favorable outcomes for our clients, including reduced charges, acquittals, and favorable plea agreements.
- Comprehensive Legal Support: At Goldman & Associates, we provide our clients with comprehensive legal support throughout the entire legal process. We ensure that our clients understand their rights and options at every stage, from the initial arrest to the conclusion of their case.
Contact Goldman & Associates for a Free Case Evaluation
If you or a loved one is facing aggravated robbery charges in Illinois, it is crucial to act quickly and secure the services of a knowledgeable and experienced aggravated robbery defense lawyer. Contact Goldman & Associates at your earliest convenience to schedule a free case evaluation. Our team will review the details of your case, discuss your legal options, and develop an aggressive defense strategy to protect your rights and future.